Re: Low Averge Bug Counts

* Matthew Vernon <matthew@sel.cam.ac.uk> [011215 12:17]:
> Grant Bowman writes:
>  > I believe it would be a real boost to those developers who are doing
>  > such an excellent job in keeping their packages bug-free to make some
>  > kind of public praising from the QA group.  I would be happy to work
>  > on the wording with anyone else who would like to participate.
>
> What about people like myself who are stuck with crappy bits of
> software like trn which have lots of bugs which are unlikely to be
> fixed any time soon? It seems like my efforts are being belittled by
> this sort of thing.

Hi Matthew,

I haven't used trn in a very long time.  I think I used tin years ago.

I sympathize with your situation and I can assure you I have no intent
of belittling anyone's efforts.  A quick look on Takuo's page shows you
are maintaining 8 (debroster, electric-fence, floppybackup, hmmer,
word2x, xbs, openssh, trn) packages.  You are maintaining the trn
package that you don't like very much.  Is this accurate?

It looks to me like ssh has the most open bugs.  This is a very
important package.  I also see you have 73+% Resolve Rate: of all bugs
filed you have resolved 3/4ths of them.  This is wonderful.

Specifically regarding trn, all packaging is a volunteer effort.  If you
don't like trn, why do you feel you are stuck with it?

What I suspect you have an issue with is using the Bug Rate as a
statistic to measure effectiveness.  So what suggestions do you have for
how we should proceed?

Thanks for your input,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow@svpal.org>