Re: Bug #67746

On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 01:29:09PM -0400, Gerhard Poul wrote:
> > Correct.  In fact, I didn't think people were using much more than
> > snmpd.
>
> I don't want to blame _anyone_ for this.  I just want to discuss that
> issue to make debian better in the future.
>
> How do you think people get the information from snmpd if they don't
> use the other utilities like snmpget and snmpwalk?  We have many
> internal applications running who use these utilities extensively and
> they have been modified now but I don't want to do that again :-)

IMHO, the snmpget, snmpwalk, etc., utilities are best used for testing
and debugging agents.  If you wan to do real network management, you
should probably be using scotty, perl-snmp or something similar which
provide programatic support.  Of course, I'm biased since I developed
commercial SNMP agents for the last 10 years.

David
--
David Engel
dlengel@home.com