Re: Old bugs cleaning

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 05:05:03PM +0000, Luis Arocha -data- wrote:

> 2.- Send email to every bug-sender with a text like this:

Don't do this.  You ought to at least have a look at the bug report
before sending e-mail to people.  I'd get annoied if I got a bunch of
mail about bugs that could either be trivially verified by the sender
or where looking at the bug report would provide some explanation as to
why the bug is still open.  Autogenerated mail of this nature stands a
very good chance of being counterproductive.

I'd also guess that excluding wishlist bugs would be sensible.

>     Dear Sir:

Obviously, the wording needs to be tightend up.  :-)

Some mention of at least the title of the bug ought to be made as well -
the bug number alone is not usually particularly meaningful.

> As I stated this is only a draft and I have more questions than answers:
>    - Must this emails saved in the BTS?
>    - Must this emails be cc-ed to maintainers?

If the mail is saved to the BTS (which it probably ought to be) then it
will go to the maintainer anyway.

>    - What to do when a submitter say bug is still open but don't give any
>      other info?

That would depend on the bug report.  If there's insufficient
instructions for reproducing the bug then that would be a useful thing
to get.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/