Re: Old bugs cleaning

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 04:38:22PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> > 2.- Send email to every bug-sender with a text like this:
>
> Don't do this.  You ought to at least have a look at the bug report
> before sending e-mail to people.  I'd get annoied if I got a bunch of
> mail about bugs that could either be trivially verified by the sender
> or where looking at the bug report would provide some explanation as to
> why the bug is still open.  Autogenerated mail of this nature stands a
> very good chance of being counterproductive.

Note that Remco Blaakmeer has done something similar to what Luis proposed a
couple of years ago. However, he didn't mail submitters, he mailed
maintainers. (Examples of this can be seen in old bugs such as #4449.)

Unfortunately I don't have details on how fruitful his attempt was. I'm
CC:ing him -- Remco, what was the reaction to your "Old bugs need to be
looked at" mails?