Re: util-linux: bug #19039 still true ?

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Thierry Laronde wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can someone else have a look to the bug #19039.
> This old bug has been reassigned from sysvinit to mount, because of the
> following :
>
> "If any remote filesystems are mounted, the system will hang after a shutdown
> -r and refuse to properly unmount even the local filesystems if any remote
> computer is not responding.  For instance, if I mount a partition using NFS
> from machine alex, and then alex goes away, my machine will refuse to shut
> down because it apparently is trying to unmount from a machine that is no
> longer turned on (or whatever).  This can cause corruption on LOCAL
> filesystems too."
>
> and Miquel van Smoorenburg reassigning it wrote:
>
> "As you can see, I reassigned this bug to "mount". Note that this is actually
> a kernel problem I am afraid as what you need to fix this is "hard unmounting",
> something not implemented in the Linux kernel.
>
> But a workaround would be a timeout in the mount program for NFS mounts.."
>
> If this not solved (at least by the use of the `intr' option when mounting
> a NFS) ?

This appears to have been fixed already.

From the changelog in mount 2.9i-1 (21 Feb 1999):
  * Now umount is compiled with '-f' support (closes: #33147).

From the changelog in sysvinit 2.78-1 (30 Dec 1999):
  * Call umount with -f option to force NFS umounts (closes: #45715)

umount(8) says:
       -f     Force  unmount  (in case of an unreachable NFS sys­
              tem).  (Requires kernel 2.1.116 or later.)

I haven't actually checked that it works, but everything looks like it has
been fixed for kernels newer than 2.1.116.

What kernels is potato going to be shipped with? Right now there are
kernel packages for 2.0.36, 2.0.38, 2.2.10, 2.2.12, 2.2.13 and 2.2.14 in
potato. Will anybody need a 2.0.x kernel with potato? If yes, why? If no,
why are they still there?

Remco
--
rd1936:  1:30am  up 24 days,  6:10,  6 users,  load average: 1.66, 1.19, 1.48