Re: util-linux: bug #37036 : CEST is not defined in info date

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 08:54:45PM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:

> And Torsten found this :
>
> "Maybe even more interesting is this:
>
> torsten@pulsar:~ $ date -d 'Sun May  2 16:20:49 CEST 1999'
> Sun May  2 17:20:49 CEST 1999
> torsten@pulsar:~ $ date -d 'Sun May  2 16:20:49 CET 1999'
> Sun May  2 17:20:49 CEST 1999
>
> It seems that date ignores the daylight saving flag of the timezone.
> I don't know why hwclock and date share the same behaviour but I don't
> want to check now as I have to go to bed..."
>
> I had a look to the info pages of date. In the node `Timezone item', one
> can't find the correction for `CEST' : this isn't defined.
>
> Don't you think that the problem is simply here ? If this is the case,
> isn't it a documentation issue ?

No. The program is wrong no matter if CEST is known. If it is unable to
parse CEST then it should fail instead of running with false data. But I
don't think this is the case. How about forwarding this report?

Should be a simple fix for the persons actually working on the code.

Thanks

    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member