Re: Looking for a package to adopt

Hello there!

[Please wrap your lines at 72 chars!]

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 04:31:50PM +0100, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not a developer yet, but I'm looking for a package to adopt in order to
> learn, with an actual example, how the work has to be done.

Have a look at the wnpp pages:
http://www.debian.org/doc/prospective-packages.html
It's a bit out of date, but there may be something there that's
tractable.  Check out the BTS (bug tracking system), download the
package, play with it a bit and so forth.

> I absolutely don't care about the package by itself, I'd just like to adopt
> a package not too difficult --- I'm an absolute beginner ;) ---, not hardware
> specific --- basic PC ---, but that you think useful for Debian, and
> which has
> several bugs pending.

Are you a beginner at programming or at packaging?  Some of the issues
can get pretty intricate, even with a "simple" package.  Just want to
warn you of that.

And besides bugs pending, you could just try upgrading the package to
the latest version of policy (3.1.1.1).  Quite enough to keep you busy
and learning!

> The official ITP would be made in a few weeks (when I feel reasonably ready),
> for woody. If, by the time, the package is already adopted, it will not be a
> problem : seems that there is enough work for everybody...

ITP = intent to package.
I think you mean "intent to adopt".

Also, make good use of the debian-mentors list for help getting
started packaging, and have a look at http://www.debian.org/devel for
introductory developer information (developer's reference, packaging
and policy manuals and so on).

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg