Re: Signature for QA?

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 04:05:28PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 04:42:39PM +0300, arto.astala@nokia.com wrote:
> > > do it for you. Since these are bugs of <insert priority> priority,
> > > you must know that we will be forced to upload if you don't do
> > forced, or ..
> >  - dark will remove us from qa-group
> >  - our debian system will stop working and only scrolls insults
> >    on the screen
> >  - ... ?
> This ain't so funny if you look at the total number of bugs open
> on Debian packages.

[0]

Well, consider that half a zillion people are already using Debian on
production systems 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Sure,
we've got bugs, but we've still got a pretty good system.

The only reason we're *forced* to fix them is our own various obsessions
with buglessness.

> > please say 'we would like to make a NMU (explain) to improve
> > quality of debian system'
> Okay, we aren't forced to upload in X days. But we will have the
> right to upload in X days, and we are forced to do so if we want
> to really assure the quality of Debian distribution.

Something like ``If you'd rather, I'd be happy to make a NMU to fix these
bugs.'' is probably enough.

For the people who don't reply to their mail, sending a second mail ``Hi,
I'm not sure if you got my first mail, which said [...]. Anyway, since
these bugs have been open for a while, and I haven't heard otherwise
from you, I'll make an NMU of this in about a week.''

And it's probably a good idea to check if they've gone on holidays or
something, and just aren't replying to their email 'til they get back.
grepping through ~debian/archives/debian-private* on master is probably
not too bad a way of checking this.

But there's no need to start laying down ultimatums in the first email.

> > and remember to ask if there is a reason to not to fix any of
> > these bugs, there just might be
> If there is, it is recorded in the BTS, at bugs.debian.org/<number>.
> Maintainers should know how to use the BTS.

But some of them are too busy to get around to it.

It's good to play nice, even if the other guy doesn't deserve it,
sometimes.

Cheers,
aj

[0] 5800 and *still* skyrocketting. wtf? Where are all these bugs
    *going*?? Anyone want to post a `top 10' list of packages with
    the most new bugs filed in the last week or so?