Re: Patch for bash

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 11:28:30PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Which is also not so logical since in the preinst bash is not yet unpacked
> and there may be no /bin/bash ... it may be installed in the
> preinst when the package is upgraded ($1 = upgrade) only (in which
> case the link should already exist, but a little check should not hurt).

Hmm. Can someone more familiar with dpkg clear up what's going to happen
here? In the current state of affairs, the link is contained in the .deb
itself. When upgrading to a new version that doesn't have the link in
the .deb, but rather creates it in a script, the link will be deleted,
right? Will it get deleted before or after the preinst runs? Creating
the link should always be done if there isn't one, IMHO, whether this is
a new install or an upgrade, to account for cases where bash somehow got
removed. Perhaps creating it in the preinst on upgrades and in the
postinst on new installs is a happy medium for now? (There has been some
talk of handling /bin/sh with alternatives or some such, but I think we
should take this one step at a time.)

Mike Stone