WM installation (was Re: Another job for the QA team)

Quoting Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.north.de>:

> Fabien Ninoles wrote:
> > What about install-window-manager be change for sleeping in background
> > until all packages are installed (it's mean until dpkg stop) then show
> > a nice tty menu allowing you to choices your default WM? With a little
> > work, it can also let you comment or moves entries around (for used in
> > Xsession).
>
> This doesn't t solve the problem (it could be done with the hooks
> mechanism).
> This would still cause the installation to ask me if wm xyz should be the
> default window manager if only one of our 20 window managers has been
> updated for the daily dselect run.  Well, it's obvious that I don't want
> to use the newest twm, olvwm, blackbox or whatever as default window
> manager when there is vtwm for years.
>
> What is needed is a defined way the file looks like if there is no
> default window manager (i.e. for a brandnew installation) or if
> there is one already installed in which case no wm postinst must ask
> me any such question.

So the default should be to not used --auto-default in the postinst
script, so the default will not be override by the last update --
and to only call the --remove on a purge, so an upgrade of the default
wm will not remove the default setting. Maybe something like this
can be proposed for the policies (with some rewording however ;)

> In case of a brandnew installation I would appreciate a hooks oriented
> or somehow otherwise oriented mechanism which would check which window
> manages I have installed and then come up with:
>
>   I've found these window managers installed on your system:
>
>   a) ctwm
>   b) twm
>   c) afterstep
>   d) blackbox
>   e) gnome
>   f) vtwm
>
>   Please chose which of these shall be set as default [a]: f <------- Only
> *one* question instead of 20

That's really looks like what I have in mind in my first proposition.

> > > Yes, but only if the local one has been modified but the former one
> > > was the conffile from the package, so these questions are reasonable
> > > unless dpkg gets a flag like '--force-overwrite-conffiles' or similar.
> >
> > I would prefer a --force-keep-conffiles for this matter. This is the
>
> Err, you're having a good idea, when implementing this we need to implement
> both directions.  Please bring it up on debian-dpkg and/or file a whishlist
> bug so it doesn't get forgotton.

I prefer to wait for a most ~stable~ version of dpkg. dpkg has already
so many bugs and I think they're more than one solutions for this issues
[ Just look at all the discussions about non-interactive scripts ].
But don't worry, I will not forget about it; I think of it everytime
I'm going to press Y instead of N when upgrading (I dislike to ~simply~
press enter).

> But: The current setting should be default, however I guess I would
> appreciate
> being able to switch its behaviour in one of the two other directions.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Joey
>
> --
> Debian GNU/Linux                           The choice of a GNU generation.

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur                    Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70