Re: Another job for the QA team

> On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 11:32:40AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > In my new version of the fvwm package (2.2-x), there have been radical
> > changes.  The postinst will do its best not to irrevocably retrieve
> > the information it expects to currently be present, but it warns the
> > installer that certain information may be lost, thus giving them a
> > chance to rescue it first.  I do not think that this is an
> > unreasonable query, but better ways of handling it are always welcome.
>
> I'd qualify this as an important info, and if doing something else would
> cause harm (and release-critical bug reports ;), then do leave the pause.
>
> However, it'd be nice if you would just leave the old stuff in place
> and add new stuff. Or move all old stuff to a backup location, replace
> with the new stuff, check integrity, and (depending on the result) then
> revert or delete backup.

Hmm.  As it stands, the old version used the directory /etc/X11/fvwm2
and the new version /etc/X11/fvwm.  I back up all of the files from
/etc/X11/fvwm2, but don't bother about subdirectories, which are not
expected to be present anyhow.  But to be on the safe side, I warn
about this.  I do not wish to leave the old directory around, as this
will lead to people becoming confused by the presence of two config
directories.  Then again, I could just bodily move the old config
directory into an 'old.fvwm2' subdirectory of /etc/X11/fvwm, which may
be much better.  Then one fewer setup question -- hurray!  I'll try to
remember to do that next week.

> > A more questionable example: "Should I make this the default window
> > manager?"  We could always do so be default, but since the sysadmin
> > may have already chosed the default window manager, they may not like
> > this behaviour.
>
> This is a tricky one. One could assume that if you selected a window
> manager, you want to use it, but whether it is default... I don't know.
> I can't wait for debian-admintool to resolve this, by asking the question
> somewhere in the installation procedure.

Well, I could always just not ask the question and allow the sysadmin
to run register-window-manager --default after the installation is
complete, should they wish to do so.

> > And of course, dpkg asks questions when trying to upgrade modified
> > conffiles.
>
> I think this is a good thing. It is one of the purposes of marking files
> as conffiles, so that they don't get overwritten automatically during
> upgrades. It may seem ugly/annoying, but is very useful.

Of course it's good -- I'm just pointing out that not all questions
are irrelevant or unimportant or unnecessary.

> > So we're left with purposeless questions: "Do you realise that this
> > package has been upgraded?  You must see the README!  Press enter to
> > continue...."  Of course the package is being upgraded!
>
> :) That is why we all have to cooperate more with the FAQ and Release
> Notes maintainers, so that all these 'upgraded-package-prepare-for-doom'
> announcements get in the place where people are supposed to read them.

Maybe we should have an announcement near to release about the Release
Notes and these requirements.

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
             Debian GNU/Linux Developer.  jdg@debian.org