Re: unnecessary adoption by QA-team

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 11:09:16PM +0200, Erik Schanze wrote:
> I have noticed that QA-team adopt the gif2png package.
> I'd like to veto here.

They did no such thing.  As the previous maintainer, I set the
maintainer to Debian QA, which is the *right and proper thing to do*
until the new person actually makes an opload.  I am not presently
maintaining the package, and neither are you.  QA is the right place for
it to be.

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/08/msg00048.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-german/2004/08/msg00011.html
>
> A ready package, that solve this bug is already available.
> Why did QA-group adopt this package instead to sponsor my upload?

Did you even read the changelog at all?

gif2png (2.4.7-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * Orphaning this package.

 -- John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>  Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:03:42 -0500

See, *I* orphaned it.  That is the latest release.  Nobody on the QA
team has done a thing with the package.

(BTW, I believe liw may be preparing an upload as well.)

> What are next steps?
> Could QA-team revert their package and sponsor my one or have I build
> a new one?

What QA package?

Debian packages cannot be "reverted".  They can only be superceded.

-- John