Re: Please recompile packages against libmysqlclient12.

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 04:10:11PM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:05:49AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > >
> > > The only viable approaches seem to be (in random order)
> > >
> > > * fork libmysqlclient
> > > * convince the MySQL folks to revert their license change
> > > * switch to postgres
> > > * get upstream developers to add a clause to their license to permit
> > >   linking to OpenSSL or move to GnuTLS (only an option if your
> > >   application has an GPL compatible license)
> >
> > Can libmysqlclient be built without encryption support (OpenSSL or
> > GnuTLS)?

> That lib is not dependent on ssl support. But many programs depend on both.
> That's the problem.

Not usually: an application that links directly against libssl already
needs an exception, regardless of whether it links against
libmysqlclient.  The current problem is that if libmysqclient links
against libssl (which the new one does), apps may now be indirectly
linking against libssl which were not before.  The authors of some of
these may not be willing to grant an exception.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer