Re: Uncleaned egg-info directory giving lots of bugs about failing to build after successful build

As a followup question, I have noticed that a lot of packages (including electrum, which I have recently started maintaining) ship the egg-info directory.  Looking through /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/, this is common but not universal.  Is there any reason to ship this directory or should it be removed from the binary packages?

Also, the commit linked to below states:

"if the egg-info directory is included in the upstream source, then

  deleting it causes no harm as dpkg-source warns on missing files in

  the source package but does not exit with error.”

It might not cause any problems for dpkg-source, but won’t it cause issues for double builds?  For reference:

If so, any package that ships the egg-info directory in the tarball will get flagged with a FTBFS bug, which might be the desired behavior if these shouldn’t be in the tarball anyway.

--

Soren Stoutner

soren@stoutner.com