Re: can pip be made using local Debian packages for any dependencies

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 9:09 PM Stefano Rivera <stefanor@debian.org> wrote:
> And our selection of Python modules is far from complete. It's not
> Debian's intent to provide a mirror of PyPI within Debian. Generally
> speaking, we package the modules that we find useful for supporting
> building and shipping other python modules and applications.
>
> We'll only have a single version of each package. And they're usually
> not the versions developers want, because in any stable release they're
> probably out of date.

Well in my case the main motivation was security (i.e. only using
code) that has security support by Debian.

But shouldn't that use case also be interesting for Debian
Maintainers? Whenever their pip would need to download something from
PyPI, it would mean that some dependency is likely not fulfilled in
Debian (unless of course that Debian package is simply not installed).

Cheers,
Philippe