Re: Enabling salsa-ci on all Debian Python Team repos

Hi Carsten (2022.09.23_05:01:05_+0000)
> sure, that's a killer argument that I can't really argue against. But that
> is not the point for me.
>
> For all these checks we already have existing infrastructure, running the
> same also by a pipeline job isn't helping at all if it's not clear how to
> handle the fallout (we already mostly have seen in other places too!).

Yeah, it's similar for me. I test build locally, my sbuild setup does
most (but not all) of the same checks as gitlab CI. Then when I'm happy
I push and upload. If there is any gitlab CI, it runs too late. And if
it fails, I usually don't even bother to investigate, because I trust my
local setup implicitly. Anything that's failing in gitlab CI is almost
certain to be a failure specific to gitlab CI.

I do see a value in having it enabled globally, for the team, though.

1. It can make the team packages friendlier to new contributor team
   members who don't have a setup like that.
   I would like to see our team act more like a team and have people
   contribute to packages that they don't regularly maintain.
2. Getting a test failure on a merge-request catches contributor
   mistakes early. I love having CI on incoming patches like that.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/