Re: Please enable me transfering python-bioblend to Debian Med team

Hi Pierre-Elliot,

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 08:06:01PM +0100, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> >> I'm sorry but pressuring to take over a package is not really fine. If
> >> you're not happy with the time it takes for an answer, you can try to
> >> fill an ITS and if the procedure goes to its end then you may take over.
> >
> > Please note:  The people involved are the same.  We are members of
> > both teams but consider the Debian Med team more appropriate.  We
> > are simply missing the permissions to do the move properly.
>
> I am aware of that.
>
> Yet, the fact that you are members of both teams doesn't entitle you to
> decide such a transfer, even if you had the technical rights to do so.

Hmm, I am not sure what the problem in such a case would be (permission in both teams)
Steffen is the maintainer (uploader if you might prefer it that way) and he has
agreed already[1] -- so what's the problem?

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2021/12/msg00119.html

> I therefore stand my point: the way Debian is made has not changed
> recently, and taking over still requires a formal approval from the
> maintainer, which you are not.
>
> The only alternatives are either an ITS or MIA team orphaning their
> packages, but as the maintainer is an active team, the latter will not
> happen.

I do not think it is sensible to take consensus from an entire team to
move a single package.
Honestly speaking, we really do not need to make team transfer
debian processes such a high friction ones -- it just stalls the work for no good reason.
The package has not seen uploads since more than two years, I really doubt anyone in the team feels strong
ly about not moving it.

If you are talking about Ondřej doing the uploads apart from the initial uploads,
then you probably are also aware that Ondřej does a number of team-maintained package
uploads to fix bugs, does updates and so on (a lot of us do so, for that matter albeit in other teams)
I really don't think that he has a personal interest in every single one of those packages (including this one)
but we should hear from him.

> >> and they could be willing to check that no one in the team objects.

Sure but how are you making a "check" here? I do have admin access in a few teams, and speaking for
myself: I  would send out
an email to the list, wait for a time frame (maximum 1 week) and check if someone has any comments
If not, I would make a move.
So we already have a mail in the debian-python mailing list, and no objections so far, so ....

I would have probably done more to ask for consensus better (asking on IRC channels etc) but admittedly, we only
have 24 hours in the day, and several dozens of packages to do.

> I think you missed the second part of my sentence you're quoting.

I recetified this above.

> >> Steffen only did the first upload. I'd suggest to contact Ondrej (Cc-ed).
> >>
> >> In the meantime, Nilesh is member of the Python team and therefore can
> >> do an update of the package (but not change the maintainer).
> >
> > I'm a member myself - but the upload should happen in the Debian
> > Med team.  This is the point of my mail.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Either the python team accepts the package to be transferred and it
> indeed should happen there.

Please don't repeat your points. You wrote the same stuff above (wrt MIA, ITS etc)

> This probably means we should have a stanza in the DPT policy about
> transfer of maintainership.

This would be definitely helpful.

PS: I do not mean to be disrespectful, please do not interpret my reply that way, I am
only trying to reason it out.

Regards,
Nilesh