Re: .egg-info for entry points during dh_auto_test

Hi Michael

I wrestled with something similar some years ago with translate-toolkit, which
has a set of tests that run the binaries it ships but these (entry-points)
binaries are not generated until after installation.

The pybuild/debhelper sequence is to build, test then install; upstream's view
is to build, install then test, and so that is what I faked for that package,
overriding the normal test invocation, and running the tests in an
execute_after_dh_install step:

https://sources.debian.org/src/translate-toolkit/unstable/debian/rules/#L59

I help the test suite find the binaries in debian/translate-toolkit/usr/bin and
pybuild points the test harness at the modules in the normal place in
.pybuild/.

That's pretty ugly, but it has worked out ok for this package.

A related problem is the PEP517 builders go from source to wheel and then
install the wheel; the entry_points and scripts only appear after
installation, and so once again, testing most probably lives after 'install'
not before.

Given that entry_points, plugin registration, PEP517 are all pointing us
towards build/install/test as the paradigm rather than build/test/install, do
we need to look for an additional dh step to be added to our normal sequence
to help us with what is becoming a common task?

regards
Stuart

--
Stuart Prescott    http://www.nanonanonano.net/   stuart@nanonanonano.net