Re: [RFC] DPT Policy: Canonise recommendation against PyPi-provided upstream source tarballs

On 2021-06-26 18:51:26 -0400 (-0400), Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
[...]
> To me, the most important thing is that all packages must at least
> run the upstream testsuite when it exists (I'm planning on writing
> a policy proposal saying this after the freeze). If PyPi releases
> include them, I think it's fine (but they often don't).

When you do write that, you'll of course want to clarify what "the
upstream testsuite" really means too. Lots of projects have vast
testing which is simply not feasible to replicate within Debian for
a number of reasons. Running some battery of upstream tests makes
sense, but testsuites which require root access outside a chroot,
integration tests orchestrated across multiple machines, access to
unusual sorts of accelerator or network hardware, and so on can
easily comprise part of "the upstream testsuite."
--
Jeremy Stanley