Re: Jupyter team?

Hi,

I have worked on jupyterlab last year.

Le mardi 18 mai 2021 à 08:06 +0000, Gordon Ball a écrit :
> On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 06:20:19PM +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I've been contracted by Synchrotron Soleil to work on the packaging
> > of
> > Jupyterhub and its dependencies. This turns out to about 20 Python
> > packages,
> > most of which should probably go under the Debian Python Team
> > umbrella
> > (although some may go into Debian Science). So I hereby request to
> > be added
> > to the python-team group on salsa. My salsa login is "lolando", and
> > I have
> > read and accept the
> > https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/blob/master/policy.rst
> > policy.
>
> Hello
>
> Good to have more people working on jupyter and related tools. Can
> you
> say what the extent of your goal here is? Does it just relate to the
> jupyterhub server, spawners, proxy, etc or does your target also
> include
> some work on the jupyter interfaces/core side?
>
> I wonder if it is time to have a distinct jupyter packaging team
> given
> the (perhaps concerningly?) growing size of this software stack [1].

I don't think it's that big ; notice that the JS team is to be involved
too : the Python part is a piece of cake, with good developers.

> Although I don't know how much time I'll have to work on this in the
> near future (new job, etc), my broad goals for this next cycle would
> be:
>
>  * See if we can get jupyterlab packaged. This has an unpleasant list
> of
>    javascript dependencies, but now there is a v3 release I hope it
>    might stabilise a bit.

The JS part is where the real, deep, pain is.

Here is (a quick translation) of what my personal notes on the matter
are -- they might not be up to date since I haven't worked on it since
november :

BEGIN

- nbconvert needs a more recent nbsphinx ;
- nbsphinx wants a more recent ipywidgets ;
- ipywidgets wants jupyterlab ;
- jupyterlab needs many JS pieces :
  * I can get the following going: coreutils, settingregistry, statedb,
nbformat, observables, rendermime-interfaces, mathjax2, metapackage,
pdf-extension ;
  * for ui-components, typestyle would be needed ;
  * for vdom, @nteract/transform-vdom would be needed ;
  * for vega5-extension, vega-embed is needed ;
- for typestyle, csstype and freestyle are needed.

END

Notice that I initially wanted to update nbconvert, which got me to
look into nbsphinx, which got me to... etc : I took notes as I went
along, and simplified them as I managed to get things in.

I think I stopped after I got lumino at the beginning of november 2020,
for various reasons. Now perhaps I could resume, in which case some
coordination will be needed to avoid duplicate efforts.

Cheers,

JP