Jupyter team?

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 06:20:19PM +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been contracted by Synchrotron Soleil to work on the packaging of
> Jupyterhub and its dependencies. This turns out to about 20 Python packages,
> most of which should probably go under the Debian Python Team umbrella
> (although some may go into Debian Science). So I hereby request to be added
> to the python-team group on salsa. My salsa login is "lolando", and I have
> read and accept the https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/blob/master/policy.rst
> policy.

Hello

Good to have more people working on jupyter and related tools. Can you
say what the extent of your goal here is? Does it just relate to the
jupyterhub server, spawners, proxy, etc or does your target also include
some work on the jupyter interfaces/core side?

I wonder if it is time to have a distinct jupyter packaging team given
the (perhaps concerningly?) growing size of this software stack [1].

Although I don't know how much time I'll have to work on this in the
near future (new job, etc), my broad goals for this next cycle would be:

 * See if we can get jupyterlab packaged. This has an unpleasant list of
   javascript dependencies, but now there is a v3 release I hope it
   might stabilise a bit.
 * Try and get ipywidgets into better shape - it's currently quite out
   of date, requiring patches in consuming libraries, and blocked on
   javascript problems (many of which are probably in common with
   jupyterlab)
 * Go through the list of jupyter kernels for other languages and see
   if some of these have matured and stabilised and might be good
   candidates where the given ecosystem is already well supported in
   debian - iruby, ijavascript, gophernotes (go) look like conceivable
   candidates.

Gordon

[1]: A quick survey of jupyter in debian:

Core components:

 * jupyter-core
 * jupyter-client
 * jupyter-console
 * jupyter-notebook
 * jupyter-packaging
 * jupyter-server
 * jupyterlab-pygments
 * jupyterlab-server
 * nbclient
 * nbconvert
 * nbformat
 * qtconsole

Kernels and related:

 * ipykernel
 * ipyparallel
 * ipywidgets
 * metakernel
 * nbsphinx
 * octave-kernel
 * r-cran-irdisplay
 * r-cran-irkernel
 * xeus
 * xeus-python

There are probably python or other language libraries which are
exclusively jupyter dependencies also.