Re: Generic Python packages which don’t work on all architectures

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> This is what I eventually chose for iotop. At the time I wanted dpkg
> and dak to support something like Architecture: linux-all, which would
> build arch: all packages, but only put them in the Packages files for
> the Linux architectures.
>
> I am now thinking that a more generic solution than Architecture:
> linux-all is needed, in order to cover your case as well. Perhaps
> something like Available-Architecures or Runtime-Architectures or
> Architecture-all-Architectures: or similar.

I am still wondering why we don't have just empty some pseudo-packages
that are available only on specific architectures (or groups of them,
like linux, or little endian, or 64 bit or so). If a package works (or
builds) only on a specific arch (or an arch with specific properties),
it can be set dependent (or built-dependent) on that.

This would be a quite flexible and extendible approach to have packages
installable only where they work.

Best regards

Ole