Re: Generic Python packages which don’t work on all architectures

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 7:40 PM Stephen Kitt wrote:

> I’ve come across a situation which doesn’t seem to be addressed by existing
> policies: the python-ptrace source package only ships
> architecture-independent content, but it works on a small number of
> architectures (currently, 32/64-bit x86, 32-bit ARM, 32/64-bit PPC).

The iotop package is in a similar situation, it uses Linux kernel APIs
so does not work on Hurd or kFreeBSD.

> As a result, the packages it builds are installable everywhere, but that’s a
> false promise since they don’t work everywhere. Would it make sense to
> convert it to an architecture-dependent package, only on those architectures
> which are really supported?

This is what I eventually chose for iotop. At the time I wanted dpkg
and dak to support something like Architecture: linux-all, which would
build arch: all packages, but only put them in the Packages files for
the Linux architectures.

I am now thinking that a more generic solution than Architecture:
linux-all is needed, in order to cover your case as well. Perhaps
something like Available-Architecures or Runtime-Architectures or
Architecture-all-Architectures: or similar.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise