Generic Python packages which don’t work on all architectures

Hi,

I’ve come across a situation which doesn’t seem to be addressed by existing
policies: the python-ptrace source package only ships
architecture-independent content, but it works on a small number of
architectures (currently, 32/64-bit x86, 32-bit ARM, 32/64-bit PPC).

As a result, the packages it builds are installable everywhere, but that’s a
false promise since they don’t work everywhere. Would it make sense to
convert it to an architecture-dependent package, only on those architectures
which are really supported?

(In this specific instance, there’s an optional CPython extension which would
be interesting, so I’d switch to an architecture-dependent package for this
anyway, were I to maintain the package; but I thought this was an interesting
question in general.)

Regards,

Stephen