Re: Python3-kivy & fife Installation SyntaxWarning (Was: Request for backport of python3-kivy)

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

Oh, boy, oh, boy, an excuse for my first post!! *waving!*

Hi Cindy and welcome!

About an hour ago, I was installing more Python and other types of
developer-learning packages on a Bullseye debootstrap in chroot. A
couple of dependency packages that came along with threw
SyntaxWarnings I'd never encountered as a regular user. Python3-kivy
and python3-fife are the two packages involved.

The warnings are relatively similar and mainly resemble:

SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
if module is not "FIFE":

AND......

SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
 if module is "FIFE":

python3-kivy's second lines read e.g.:

 if type(data) is 'dict':
 elif type(data) is 'list':
 walk_tree = 'walk' if focus_dir is 'focus_next' else 'walk_reverse'

Yes, I've seen a few of these SyntaxWarning's start to pop up as well. They have started popping up because Python 3.8 (or maybe 3.7) has started to report them, whereas they were ignored before.

If you feel so inclined, you could report them as bugs in python3-kivy and python3-fife package. If you feel even further inclined, you could submit a patch to fix them. :)

Scott