Python3-kivy & fife Installation SyntaxWarning (Was: Request for backport of python3-kivy)

Oh, boy, oh, boy, an excuse for my first post!! *waving!*

After working through writing this up, I realized that it might be
considered "hijacking" Dean's thread so I'm starting this new one in a
timely time frame to his request in case there's any incidental
relevancy..

On 1/9/20, Dean Serenevy <dean@serenevy.net> wrote:

> Hello, would someone be willing to upload the kivy package to
> buster-backports? Kivy was present in jessie and stretch and will be present
> in bullseye, but it didn't make it into buster. It would be nice for
> improved continuity if, at least, it was present in buster-backports.
>
> The current salsa master (1.10.1-2) builds and runs just fine on buster.

About an hour ago, I was installing more Python and other types of
developer-learning packages on a Bullseye debootstrap in chroot. A
couple of dependency packages that came along with threw
SyntaxWarnings I'd never encountered as a regular user. Python3-kivy
and python3-fife are the two packages involved.

The warnings are relatively similar and mainly resemble:

SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
if module is not "FIFE":

AND......

SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if module is "FIFE":

python3-kivy's second lines read e.g.:

  if type(data) is 'dict':
  elif type(data) is 'list':
  walk_tree = 'walk' if focus_dir is 'focus_next' else 'walk_reverse'

Yes, I see mine is in Bullseye whereas Dean's requested instance runs
successfully in Buster... so I'm just chiming in to see if there's any
interest in the messages. My thought process is that maybe a different
setup of packages triggered the above. Or maybe the way that they were
brought in as secondary dependencies instead of being specifically
requested invoked something...

OR NOT. :)

The affected packages came from the primary, "main" repository, by the way.

Meanwhile, I'm going back to what I had already intended to do which
was.. poke at it for fun with some grep queries and nose around in
package contents overall to see if I can patch my own instance here
for the first time.. ever.. *if* I can find what those warnings are
referencing. :)

In case it makes a difference in outcomes, these are the packages I
was installing at that moment in time:

games-python3-dev dh-python python3-all python3-configobj
python3-pygame python3-random2

That install request triggered this ultimate package list:

  dh-python fonts-freefont-ttf freeglut3 games-python3-dev games-tasks
gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0 gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0 libfifechan0.1.5
libmad0 libmikmod3 libopusfile0 libportmidi0 libpython3.8
libpython3.8-minimal libpython3.8-stdlib libsdl-image1.2
libsdl-mixer1.2 libsdl-ttf2.0-0 libsdl2-2.0-0 libsdl2-gfx-1.0-0
libsdl2-image-2.0-0 libsdl2-mixer-2.0-0 libsdl2-ttf-2.0-0
libsfml-audio2.5 libsfml-graphics2.5 libsfml-network2.5
libsfml-system2.5 libsfml-window2.5 libtinyxml2.6.2v5 python3-all
python3-configobj python3-fife python3-gst-1.0 python3-kivy
python3-numpy python3-opengl python3-pygame python3-random2
python3-sdl2 python3-sfml python3.8 python3.8-minimal

And this is what apt-listbugs advised just before I told it to go
ahead and let's see what we can break THIS time, GRIN:

Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
serious bugs of dh-python (→ 4.20191017) <Outstanding>
 b1 - #945903 - dh-python: py3compile in postinst fails on scripts in
/usr/share/doc
 b2 - #948319 - Fix setting _PYTHON_HOST_PLATFORM
 b3 - #948320 - pybuild hard codes the m modifier now dropped in Python 3.8

Running "apt-listbugs list" for dh-python shows those same bug
reports. I had to run that to make sure I was issuing the right
apt-listbugs command because it shows nothing *on my end* for both
python3-kivy and python3-fife.

That's all I've got. I don't have any intelligent, informed way to
test that so I don't know if this is a potential project mangler
beyond that the advisements are deemed "warning" not "error".

The warnings occurred while I was pulling all this together based on
apt/apt-get package suggestions and recommendations for a *hopefully*
developer-friendly environment. On my end, I'm "content", no followup
is needed because I *am* going to take a poke at it firsthand as a
learning experience.

Have fun! I'll see you all out here.. Going back into lurk now. :)

PS Unless someone can think of a mundane, repetitive, lower level
"Python2 removal" task that bores you to death and that you think a
"perennial newbie" might be able to help you all check off your lists.
Just think of "Mundane" as my middle name. See you all out here.. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *