Re: packaging DiscoDOS - a cli tool for vinyl DJs

 ❦ 16 mai 2020 08:09 -04, Paul Tagliamonte:

>> > Would it be fair to say that your main objection is that Ubuntu has
>> > much higher popularity than Debian
>>
>> This is what I regret, indeed. It's been like that for many years, and
>> the trend isn't reversing. We should ask ourselves why. From my point of
>> view, I see it as a problem of marketing more than OS content or
>> technical excellence.
>
> No, I think they do things better. Their installer is much better, and it's
> a *lot* easier to switch. They had signed UEFI images before us,
> and they enable things like firmware for wifi cards. This allows
> Ubuntu to be easier for non-technical users to install computers
> without understanding main vs contrib vs nonfree, how to disable
> SecureBoot or what a firmware package is. We have lessons
> to learn about usability and we've not learned them, and remained
> stubborn about it.

Also for servers:

 - official cloud images far before us (kudos to Zigo for bootstrapping
   the effort on our side)
 - PPA
 - HWE kernels

We still have some things better than Ubuntu:

 - backports
 - security support
 - not converting everything to Snaps
--
There is a great discovery still to be made in Literature: that of
paying literary men by the quantity they do NOT write.