Re: packaging DiscoDOS - a cli tool for vinyl DJs

On 5/15/20 5:43 PM, jojo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to join the list because I think my software is a valuable
> addition to the debian universe, my ultimate goal would be to bring it
> into Ubuntu Studio because it is music-related.

I really think it's a shame that people join Debian just because of
Ubuntu... :(

> I already filed a bug report against the wnpp pseudo package but I am
> not quite sure what would be the next step and which packaging guides it
> is best to follow to get started with packaging and finally uploading
> it.

IMO, the best thing to start with is the packaging tutorial:
apt-get install packaging-tutorial

It's nicely written. Then you should read the Debian Policy Manual.
Finally, search and read the python policy (in the wiki?) if your app is
Python based.

> Should my next step be following this tutorial on packaging?
> https://packaging.ubuntu.com/html/packaging-new-software.html

This guide talks about bzr. It's not in use anywhere these days, even
Ubuntu people don't use it anymore. It's also Python 2 only, and
therefore, we removed it from Debian.

IMO, you should install sbuild to start with:
https://wiki.debian.org/sbuild

and then go from the above. Note that I don't think using dh_make is a
good idea. It's IMO nicer to just take another Python app as example.
Look at the team's Git for that.

> Also some other questions arise as my tool has a dependency that I am
> pretty sure is not in debian already. the official discogs_client - a
> python sdk to access discogs.com rest api, and actually I forked and
> extended it. pull-request to official repo is pending:
> https://github.com/JOJ0/discogs_client

Well, if you need it for your app, then it must be packaged in Debian as
well if you intend to depend on it.

> Well enough already, let's discuss stuff when I am on the list :-)

You're talking about joining the list. But what about the Python APP
team? Do you intend to join it?

Thanks for your interest in Debian packaging and your intention to
package your app,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)