Re: Numpy migration?

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 09:03:11AM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Mattia Rizzolo <mattia@debian.org> writes:
> > On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 05:07:41PM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:
> >> Now it turns out that there is a new migration problem, which is aplpy:
> >> Current aplpy (2.0~rc2-2) CI test works well
> >
> > You probably mean aplpy 1.1.1-4.
>
> No, I meant the one above (although the unstable test was not done on
> ci.d.n when I wrote my last mail).

Right, that explains why I didn't see it.
It seems now britney is triggering aplpy test with a big set of
triggers (I suppose the result of the several Breaks that have been
added in the meantime), so it's indeed trying to move everything
together.

> astropy needs askimage only in some cases, so it is (should be) a
> suggestion and not a recommendation. aplpy is however one of these
> cases -- but this is not the problem here, since aplpy 2.0~rc2-2 has
> skimage in its test dependency.

2.0~rc2-2 has, the tesing version doesn't, which was the one I was
looking at…

> The problem is that aplpy uses matplotlib, and the old matplotlib uses
> the deprecated numpy function np.asscalar(), which leads to a
> DeprecationWarning, which is (on purpose, by upstream) thrown as error.
>
> https://ci.debian.net/data/autopkgtest/testing/amd64/a/aplpy/1658948/log.gz
>
> This does only happen in the combination "new numpy + old matplotlib",
> but this is the one that is tested for the CI test.

mhh… for this, indeed a breaks numpy -> matplotlib could be used, but it
feels a bit too strong to me, as nothing was really broken since it's
just deprecations.

elbrus; this is a case where I think I could use your input (tl;dr: new
numpy causes deprecations in testing's version of matplotlib (fixed in
unstable), which in turn causes failures in new aplpy, how to make the
stack happy?).

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo