Re: Numpy migration?

)On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 3:18 PM Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org> wrote:
> However, astropy cannot migrate now, to testing, since it depends on the
> new numpy version (and therefore can only migrate after numpy). And
> numpy is blocked by the CI failure of astropy ...
>
> Looks like a deadlock. Which will be resolved before the migration delay
> ends. Which is in the second half of february, and therefore will cause
> all packages that depend on numpy and are not in testing yet to be kept
> outside of Buster (due to the release timeline).

Starting from half a month ago CI regressions are de-facto release blockers.

The way forward in cases like these is for the package that originally
cuased the breakage (i.e. numpy) to declare a versioned Breaks on the
borken and now fixed package (i.e. astropy (<< 3.1-1)).  This way
britney and debci will know they have to test numpy and astropy
together, and will be able to correctly migrate to testing at the same
time, and properly avoid a situation when two incompatible packages
are installed.
Maybe you could open a bug on numpy to get the maintainer to add the breaks.

BTW, that numpy upload also blocked our effort to remove Python 3.6
from buster...

> Another CI problem is python-astropy, which is the Python 2 version of
> Astropy. python-astropy is going to be removed as soon as there are no
> backward dependencies left; however there is still some cruft in
> unstable that depends on python-astropy. But this should not hinder
> numpy to migrate.

I don't understand this, I don't see any python2-related issue right
now.  Could you please expand?

--
regards,
Mattia Rizzolo