Re: Numpy migration?

Mattia Rizzolo <mattia@debian.org> writes:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 05:07:41PM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:
>> Now it turns out that there is a new migration problem, which is aplpy:
>> Current aplpy (2.0~rc2-2) CI test works well
>
> You probably mean aplpy 1.1.1-4.

No, I meant the one above (although the unstable test was not done on
ci.d.n when I wrote my last mail).

>>  - with numpy-1.15.4-2 (testing) and matplotlib-2.2.2-4 (testing),
>>  - with numpy-1.16.0~rc2-1 (unstable) and matplotlib-3.0.2-2 (unstable).
>>
>> However it does not work well when combining numpy-1.16.0~rc2 (unstable)
>> and matplotlib-2.2.2-4 (testing), which is the combination that is
>> tested for migration of numpy. Needless to say that matplotlib migrates
>> only after numpy. What should one do here? Declaring another
>> "Breaks: matplotlib (<< 3.0)" in numpy?
>
> Well, to me it seems it's python3-astropy that is missing a dependency
> on python3-skimage there, to be honest:
> |>       from skimage.measure import block_reduce
> |E       ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'skimage'
> |
> |/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/astropy/nddata/utils.py:370: ModuleNotFoundError
>
> However I wouldn't be able to tell you why it would pass with numpy and
> matplotlib from unstable, given that neither pulls in skimage…

astropy needs askimage only in some cases, so it is (should be) a
suggestion and not a recommendation. aplpy is however one of these
cases -- but this is not the problem here, since aplpy 2.0~rc2-2 has
skimage in its test dependency.

The problem is that aplpy uses matplotlib, and the old matplotlib uses
the deprecated numpy function np.asscalar(), which leads to a
DeprecationWarning, which is (on purpose, by upstream) thrown as error.

https://ci.debian.net/data/autopkgtest/testing/amd64/a/aplpy/1658948/log.gz

This does only happen in the combination "new numpy + old matplotlib",
but this is the one that is tested for the CI test.

best

Ole