Re: TypeError: ord() expected a character, but string of length 3 found (Was: Updated python-uncertainties)

Hi Chris,

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 12:32:18PM +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:

> > >   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/uncertainties/core.py", line 946, in <dictcomp>
> > >     ord(sup): normal for (normal, sup) in list(TO_SUPERSCRIPT.items())}
>
> Please always provide a minimal testcase, otherwise people have to do a
> lot of work simply to get where you are..

Hmmm, I've thought the "test case" I've given in my first mail, just
doing

   from uncertainties import core

would be sufficient.

> Under Python 2.x, list(TO_SUPERSCRIPT.items()) is:
>
>   [(43, '\xe2\x81\xba'),
>    (45, '\xe2\x81\xbb'),
>    (48, '\xe2\x81\xb0'),
>    […]
>   ]
>
> ie. strings with a length of 3 whilst ord() takes a single char. These
> should therefore be probably defined as:
>
>   TO_SUPERSCRIPT = {
>       0x2b: u'⁺',
>       0x2d: u'⁻',
>   […]
>
> .. instead, but I haven't tested or confirmed or anythinged that; I'll
> leave it with you and upstream.

I will contact upstream but I wanted to hear the opinion of the
Uploaders of this package.

> I also couldn't help notice:
>
>   Vcs-Browser: https://salsa.debian.org/debian/python-uncertainties
>   Vcs-Git: https://salsa.debian.org/debian/python-uncertainties.git
>
> .. yet:
>
>   Maintainer: Debian Python Modules Team <python-modules-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>

That's probably explained in my other mail I've wrongly sent to
python-modules-team list where it might have not been noticed by you.  I
wanted the Uploaders confirm the move to DPMT and make sure they have
commit permissions before the repository is moved.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2018/10/msg00020.html
[2] https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/python-modules-team/2018-October/050019.html