Re: packaging django-rest-framework-filters

On 2018-11-28 08:58 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 04:05:05 +0000
> Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
>
> > On 2018-11-22 08:59 +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > > On 11/22/18 6:02 AM, Wookey wrote:
> >
> > I guess djangorestframework-filters is
> > clearer, and closer to upstream so people can find it. I'll go with
> > that unless someone says the drf-* names are a better plan.
> >
> > OK. I've made a new package (djangorestframework-filters), which
> > seems OK. (actually I've made 2 (see below))
> >
> > I'm not a member of the modules team, so can't follow the instructions
> > to make a salsa project under the python-team banner
> > (https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackaging)
> >
> > I'll put it under wookey for now.
> >
> > Also, the latest release is 0.10.0.post0, which says it's compatible
> > with:
> > * **Python**: 2.7 or 3.3+
> > * **Django**: 1.8, 1.9, 1.10, 1.11
> > * **DRF**: 3.5, 3.6
>
> djangorestframework lists "Breaking changes" in the release notes for
> 3.8, so this looks like an incompatibility with what's already in
> Debian.
>
> https://github.com/encode/django-rest-framework/releases/tag/3.8.0
>
> It might be worth testing whether 0.10.0.post0 or another release of
> django-rest-framework-filters between that and 1.0.0dev0 is actually
> fine with djangorestframework 3.8 - at least at a unit test level.

Milosz and I are doing just that.

It would be great if you could check whether these packages work OK
with lava or not as that's at least one datapoint:
http://wookware.org/software/repo/pool/main/d/drf-extensions/python3-djangorestframework-extensions_0.4.0-1_all.deb
http://wookware.org/software/repo/pool/main/d/djangorestframework-filters/python3-djangorestframework-filters_0.10.2.post0-1_all.deb

> > However the version of DRF in testing is now 3.8, and python 3.6 so
> > perhaps it's better to upload the upcoming v1.0.0.dev0:
> > * **Python**: 3.4, 3.5, 3.6
> > * **Django**: 1.11, 2.0, 2.1b1
> > * **DRF**: 3.8
> > * **django-filter**: 2.0
> >
> > But the version of django-filter in debian is 1.1.0, so at first
> > glance neither of these versions will work with the components
> > available.
> >
> > I'd normally upload the last released version, i.e. 0.10.2.post0, but
> > I'm not sure how these interactions with versions of
> > djangorestframework and django-filter work. Any advice or shall I work
> > this out with upstreams?
>
> django-filters has a new upstream 2.0 but a migration guide has been
> published for that:
>
> https://django-filter.readthedocs.io/en/master/guide/migration.html#migrating-to-2-0

Cheers for that link

> So it's likely that at least some reverse dependencies would be broken
> by django-filters version 2.0.

As you say - if we have to go to django-filters 2.0, then things
probably get complicated (too complicated for buster).

Wookey
http://wookware.org/