Re: packaging django-rest-framework-filters

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 04:05:05 +0000
Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> On 2018-11-22 08:59 +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > On 11/22/18 6:02 AM, Wookey wrote:
>
> I guess djangorestframework-filters is
> clearer, and closer to upstream so people can find it. I'll go with
> that unless someone says the drf-* names are a better plan.
>
> OK. I've made a new package (djangorestframework-filters), which
> seems OK. (actually I've made 2 (see below))
>
> I'm not a member of the modules team, so can't follow the instructions
> to make a salsa project under the python-team banner
> (https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackaging)
>
> I'll put it under wookey for now.
>
> Also, the latest release is 0.10.0.post0, which says it's compatible
> with:
> * **Python**: 2.7 or 3.3+
> * **Django**: 1.8, 1.9, 1.10, 1.11
> * **DRF**: 3.5, 3.6

djangorestframework lists "Breaking changes" in the release notes for
3.8, so this looks like an incompatibility with what's already in
Debian.

https://github.com/encode/django-rest-framework/releases/tag/3.8.0

It might be worth testing whether 0.10.0.post0 or another release of
django-rest-framework-filters between that and 1.0.0dev0 is actually
fine with djangorestframework 3.8 - at least at a unit test level.

> However the version of DRF in testing is now 3.8, and python 3.6 so
> perhaps it's better to upload the upcoming v1.0.0.dev0:
> * **Python**: 3.4, 3.5, 3.6
> * **Django**: 1.11, 2.0, 2.1b1
> * **DRF**: 3.8
> * **django-filter**: 2.0
>
> But the version of django-filter in debian is 1.1.0, so at first
> glance neither of these versions will work with the components
> available.
>
> I'd normally upload the last released version, i.e. 0.10.2.post0, but
> I'm not sure how these interactions with versions of
> djangorestframework and django-filter work. Any advice or shall I work
> this out with upstreams?

django-filters has a new upstream 2.0 but a migration guide has been
published for that:

https://django-filter.readthedocs.io/en/master/guide/migration.html#migrating-to-2-0

So it's likely that at least some reverse dependencies would be broken
by django-filters version 2.0.

$ apt-cache rdepends python3-django-filters
python3-django-filters
Reverse Depends:
  python3-djangorestframework
  python3-djangorestframework-gis
  python3-djangorestframework
  python3-djangorestframework-gis

It may be too late to get things like this untangled before the buster
release. Dabbling with django-filters 2.0 now could end up causing
removal of packages which work just fine with the current set.

Looks to me like django-filters 2.0 needs to be handled in bullseye.

--

Neil Williams
home@codehelp.co.uk