Re: RFS: mwic 0.7.4-1

Hi,

On 18-03-21 11:36:58, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 1:11 AM, Georg Faerber wrote:
> >> doc/mwic.1 and tests/coverage are generated files, they should be
> >> removed from the upstream VCS and tarballs and be always built from
> >> source. If upstream refuses, you should remove them in
> >> `debian/rules clean` and very early in `debian/rules build` so that
> >> the package will never depend on the existing upstream files.
> >
> > I've searched quite a bit on the Internets how to do this, and
> > leverage, for now, dh_clean. I hope that this is an acceptable
> > method for this, I didn't found any "official" source. I'll approach
> > upstream regarding these files.
>
> It needs to be done in both debian/rules clean and build, otherwise
> building the package without the clean step will use the prebuilt
> file. dh_clean is fine for the first one, but you need to override
> dh_auto_configure or dh_auto_build for the second one.

Fixed. I've used dh_auto_build to limit the needed override targets.

> > Also, the man page is now generated during dh_auto_install. I've
> > added a build dependency on python3-docutils for this.
>
> That is the wrong time to generate it, please change that to
> dh_auto_build.

Fixed.

> > See above. (Personally, I really dislike the trailing comma.)
>
> The reason for the trailing comma option is that when you add a new
> item to the end of a list of dependencies, you don't also have to
> modify the line before it, making the diff easier to read, which is
> most of the point of the wrap-and-sort tool.

I see, thanks for the explanation, makes sense.

> > I'm aware that this was recently added to lintian, and reading the
> > bug, again, makes me wonder what's the process of getting a new
> > check into lintian.
>
> The process for adding a check is to file a bug on lintian and wait a
> day, lamby is incredibly active on incoming lintian requests.

lamby does a great job, I didn't referred to him personally above.

To put it differently, especially regarding this upstream metadata
check: If someone opens a bug against lintian to add a new check, does
"this new check" needs to be backed up by some general consensus within
the project? Is there some "formal process" around this, besides opening
a new bug?

This is fixed as well, see [🔎] 20180321010428.GJ8754@debian.

> > The texts are the same, there are only differences in special chars
> > like ", so I guess this is a false positive.
>
> You may want to file a bug on license-reconcile about these false
> positives re Expat vs MIT/X11.

Will do, once mwic hits the archive, to serve as a proof of concept.

Changes pushed to git, package on m.d.n updated.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Georg