Re: RFS: jupyter components

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017, Julien Puydt wrote:

Hi,

Le 28/08/2017 à 23:56, Gordon Ball a écrit :
Hello

The following packages should be ready for upload, if someone would be
willing to check and sponsor the uploads:

 * ipython 5.4.0-1

   IPython 6.x is now available, but is python3 only. For the moment,
   the existing ipython source package will be the 5.x series, and at
   some point it will cease to build the python3 package and a new
   source package based on ipython6 will take that binary over.

   Question for previous packagers: we currently ship a custom
   ipython.sh script as /usr/bin/ipython[3] instead of using the
   entry-points script that would otherwise be installed, but I can't
   find the rationale documented - faster startup?

 * jupyter-console: 5.2.0-1

   I tried out converting this one to gbp-pq (all others are still in
   git-dpm format)

 * jupyter-core: 4.3.0-1
 * nbformat 4.4.0-1
 * jupyter-client: 5.1.0-1

The remaining packages are currently blocked:

 * nbconvert: 5.2.1

   waiting on python-pandocfilters >= 1.4 (already in dpmt git, but
   not yet uploaded)

 * jupyter-notebook: 5.0.0

   working package available, but with some functionality limited due to
   unpackaged or out-of-date javascript libraries

I haven't dared touching those packages recently (and especially not
updating them to later upstream) precisely because I knew I would risk
killing Python2 support.

None of these updates remove or downgrade python 2.7 support. This was discussed a bit at https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2017/06/msg00047.html;
all the 4.x and 5.x versions still support python 2.7.

This question is definitely going to come up in the not-too-distant future, but for the moment only IPython (v6.1) has released a python3-only version, and the watch file for the existing ipython source package has been restricted to only fetch versions <6. My proposal (see the thread linked above) is to introduce a separate source package ("ipython6"?) for this version, and build only the python2 version from the existing source package.

Could you be more explicit about which javascript libraries are
unpackaged or out-of-date? I've been struggling since pretty long to
keep some of the javascript packages I made for jupyter up to date, so
perhaps at one point that effort might help...

Yes, I've seen you've been doing a lot of work on the javascript side - thanks for your work there.

As of notebook 5.0.0, the issues are:

 * jqueryui

   notebook uses an old version (1.10) whereas debian has 1.12
   (fixed with patches, but potentially affects compatibility of
   addons). Probably wontfix unless we embed jqueryui 1.10.

 * codemirror

   debian has 5.4, notebook requires 5.22 (but nonetheless works with 5.4,
   the API appears to be sufficiently stable). I investigated updating
   this; current is 5.29, but updating to > 5.19 requires rollup + various
   plugins. Updating to 5.19 for now to get at least some of the interim
   fixes might be pragmatic.

 * preact, preact-compat, proptypes

   none of these are currently packaged, and these are typescript libs
   with a fairly extensive dependency stack. These are only used to
   implement a shortcut editor, which the current notebook package just
   disables to avoid the dependencies - but shipping a deliberately
   crippled version is not ideal, even though it's not core functionality.

Snark on #debian-python and #debian-js