Re: MBF for deprecating Python2 usage

Hi Matthias,

On 08/03/2017 11:57 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> It might not be possible to drop Python2 for the next release,

Even if all Python-related packages in Debian were compatible with
Python3, I don't think it's a good idea to drop Python2 support in
Buster, there are still far too many third-party users of Python2
out there. I also don't think there has been enough communication
to users of Debian that Python2 is going to be removed at some
point - this has mainly been discussed in development channels so
far. And while there's writing on the wall due to upstream's EOL
of Python2 I do get the impression that many people are not aware
of that.

Therefore I would strongly recommend to keep Python2 in Buster,
but add a big fat comment to the release notes that it will be the
last Debian release that will support Python2 - so that it can be
dropped in Bullseye.

That said, I do think we should strive to get rid of all the
Python2-only packages in Buster if possible, so I do appreciate
your efforts in this regard.

Regards,
Christian