Re: MBF for deprecating Python2 usage

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 05:57:01PM -0400, Matthias Klose wrote:
> While at DebCamp, Stefano Rivera and I sat down to analyze what needs to be done
> to deprecate Python2 usage within the distribution.  It might not be possible to
> drop Python2 for the next release, but there are still too many issues with
> packages.  For now we identified some categories which need fixing. These are
> documented at https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/Python3Montreal, resulting in
> more than 3000 bug reports.  That's a high number, on the other hand we won't
> make much progress if the issues are not named.  My intent is to bring that up
> in the Python BoF next week at DebConf and then filing these bug reports with
> the user tags mentiond on the wiki page.

For python3-app I would actually consider it a bad idea to make it
visible at this point in time (except for native packages):

I can clearly see how for example python3-package from your list is an
issue that can become painful for users in buster, but whether a program
uses Python2, Python3 or Perl is usually irrelevant for the user.

In 2020 when Python2 is already EOL and other distributions have already
removed Python2, Debian will get this in most cases automatically just
by upgrading to the latest upstream version.

Trying to do anything about python3-app already in 2017 would only
create extra work with close to zero benefits to users of Debian.

And what should a maintainer do based on a python3-app bug or lintian warning?
"Please convert to Python3, the 2021 release of Debian will drop Python2"
sounds hilarious if sent to upstream today.

> Matthias

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.