Re: MBF for deprecating Python2 usage

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 05:57:01PM -0400, Matthias Klose wrote:
> While at DebCamp, Stefano Rivera and I sat down to analyze what needs to be done
> to deprecate Python2 usage within the distribution.  It might not be possible to
> drop Python2 for the next release, but there are still too many issues with
> packages.  For now we identified some categories which need fixing. These are
> documented at https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/Python3Montreal, resulting in
> more than 3000 bug reports.  That's a high number, on the other hand we won't
> make much progress if the issues are not named.  My intent is to bring that up
> in the Python BoF next week at DebConf and then filing these bug reports with
> the user tags mentiond on the wiki page.

I do not see the benefits of the MBF.

Visibility will already be provided both to you and to package
maintainers by lintian, with automated checking by lintian
actually more reliable than information in the BTS.

And maintainers who ignore lintian results in their packages tend to be
the same people who ignore non-RC bugs in their packages.

> Matthias

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.