Re: packaging problems with python3.5 and python 3.6

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 08:35:47AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Dear all
>
> (please Cc)
>
> to satisfy a dependency of the next Calibre package I have packaged
> 	html5-parser
> 	https://github.com/kovidgoyal/html5-parser
> see
> Vcs-Browser: https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/html5-parser.git
> Vcs-Git: git://anonscm.debian.org/collab-maint/html5-parser.git

> Unfortunately I have given up providing python3 modules, since it seems
> that either python3.5 or python3.6 breaks when adding the respective
> line as explained in the python packaging guide.

Which "python packaging guide" do you refer to?  A search for "debian python
packaging guide" does not return unambiguous results.

Your difficulties almost certainly stem from you having set wrong
build-dependencies.  The correct build-dependencies here are
'python-all-dev, python3-all-dev' - plus the python2 and python3 versions of
any other modules needed at build time.  You should, e.g., never be
build-depending on python2.7-dev without a very good reason, and if you
build-depend on libpython3.6-dev this will obviously not give you python3.5
support.

If there is a python packaging guide suggesting that these sort of build
dependencies are appropriate, we should certainly get that corrected.

Since this package is in collab-maint, I've gone ahead and pushed fixed
python3 support to the repo.

> For now I have uploaded the package with python2 support, only, as this also
> the only one needed for Calibre (which is python2 application).

> If you have any suggestion concerning the python3 packaging part, please
> let me know how this should be done.  You can see what I have done wrt
> python3 in the following commit
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/html5-parser.git/commit/?id=4a8e02b20698e35e577482f96efdeb17826d797f
> which I reverted afterwards.

> Thanks a lot and all the best