Re: [Python-modules-commits] [python-cpuinfo] 02/02: Import Debian changes 3.0.0-1

On 04/17/2017 06:20 PM, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> I'm just thinking about how annoying is now changing the /usr/bin/foo
> from the python2 to the python3 package, and in the meantime stuff
> started to (build-)depend on it only for the /usr/bin/foo, stuff which
> may or may not be easy to detect... This is just a case.

I've been using update-alternative in OpenStack packages for years for
that reason: so that we have both python 2 and 3 implems that do not
conflict. I don't see this as a problem at all, and would recommend
others in this team to do the same. See pkgos-alternative-bin (from
openstack-pkg-tools) if you want some automations, so you don't need to
write the maintainer's scripts by hand (which is the main pain point).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)