Re: pycharm package in debian

On 10/01/2017 09:47 AM, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> Besides, rrom an end-user perspective, I can't picture anyone preferring
> the (potentially lagging) packaged version over more official means like
> the Jetbrains app or the snap package, both of which have been good at
> keeping up with updates.

I definitively prefer a Debian package in main, even if it is "lagging
behind" as you said. For such a thing as an IDE, I expect it to be
mature enough so that the older version is enough for the everyday use.
And I would feel safer than using any random snap package. Who knows
what security issue is in there and what security policy and procedure
(if any) is in place.

> Don't get me wrong, I understand the rationales from a DFSG perspective.
> I am just questioning whether users of this particular piece of software
> would particularly care.

I at least would care. And would very much welcome anyone doing the work
of packaging and maintaining this kind of software.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)