Re: pycharm package in debian

On 01/10/17 08:38, Paul Wise wrote:
On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:

May I ask what would be the benefit for pycharm to be in Debian, when we
already have the official Jetbrains Toolbox App or the snap package as means
to install and update the application?

I've never heard of the first of those, definitely wouldn't use the
snap package and probably not the Jetbrains thing, unless either of
them were built entirely from packages in Debian main, which I am
assuming they aren't ever going to be.

Sure, though I foresee the sheer amount of packaging work to get this sort of app in the archive to be quite a challenge, both from an initial packaging and on-going maintenance effort. Look at what happened with eclipse for instance.

Besides, rrom an end-user perspective, I can't picture anyone preferring the (potentially lagging) packaged version over more official means like the Jetbrains app or the snap package, both of which have been good at keeping up with updates.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the rationales from a DFSG perspective. I am just questioning whether users of this particular piece of software would particularly care.

Ghis