Re: python3 for pysrs

Sandro Knauß <hefee@debian.org> writes:

> I'm currently porting pysrs to python3 and sofar I got all tests
> running for python2 and python3 *yeah*.

Congratulations!

> But the porting was mostly adding encode()/ decode() to many parts of
> the module. And I'm unsure, if the API is now in a good shape, or if
> it is mostly unusable for users

This is work you're doing in collaboration with the ‘pysrs’ upstream
developers, right? You are aiming to get users to test this, and get it
into a release, before doing any of this in Debian. Is that correct?

I think that porting a work to Python 3 is not appropriate for a Debian
patch. That should be done only in a maintained upstream work; maybe a
fork, but certainly not just a patch on the released upstream work for
Python 2 only.

--
 \            “Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, |
  `\            nations and ages it is the rule.” —Friedrich Nietzsche |