Re: /usr/bin/python2 shebangs

On 11/07/2016 04:21 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday, November 07, 2016 10:08:25 AM Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> On Nov 07, 2016, at 11:44 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> So, I don't agree with you, and believe that gradually using
>>> #!/usr/bin/python2 is a good approach to the transition. IMO, that's
>>> what we should start doing as much as possible.
>>>
>>> If the dependencies for Python itself aren't calculated well with that
>>> shebang, then we should address that to make it right regardless of this
>>> choice.
>>
>> Clearly we won't do anything for Stretch, but we should consider this for
>> Buster.
>
> I think Thomas' point is valid for upstream work, but it's just wasted effort
> in Debian.
>
> Scott K

The point is, some people also use venvs. In a world of Python 3 only,
some upstream will continue to use /usr/bin/python (IMO, rightly). We
should be able to provide a default implementation for these scripts.

Probably the use of update-alternatives, with carefully crafted
priorities, is the way to go (ie: provide /usr/bin/python as python2
with higher priority, but let Python 3 also provide /usr/bin/python if
Python 2 isn't installed).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)