Re: /usr/bin/python2 shebangs

On 11/01/2016 11:03 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 01, 2016 05:14:21 PM Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> On Nov 01, 2016, at 11:34 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> I don't think /usr/bin/python should ever point to a python3 version.  It
>>> should be dropped when python2.7 is removed.  I think the existence of
>>> /usr/bin/python2 is a limited to a work around for a specific distros
>>> insanity.  There's no need to encourage it's use in Debian as that
>>> particular insanity hasn't and won't (as long as I'm a python*-defaults
>>> co-maintainer).
>>>
>>> P.S. But I think you already knew how I feel about it.  ;-)
>>
>> Oh yes, I knew. :)
>>
>> Okay, so you don't think we should ever shebang scripts to /usr/bin/python2.
>> Maybe lintian should warn specifically against that then?
>>
>> (I still think /usr/bin/python2 is the better long term path, but I don't
>> feel strongly enough about it to advocate a formal transition.)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Barry
>
> Given that we provide /usr/bin/python2 in all supported releases, I don't
> think it's use is actively harmful, but neither do I think should it be any
> kind of goal.
>
> Even after python2.7 is removed from Debian, there will still be users who
> keep a local copy because they couldn't migrate things due to $REASONS.  Re-
> using /usr/bin/python for a python3 version won't accomplish anything more
> than gratuitously break such setups.

It does serve the purpose of providing /usr/bin/python for upstream
source which works with Python 3 and use #!/usr/bin/python (if they
don't care if the python version is 2 or 3, that's what IMO they should
rightly do).

So, I don't agree with you, and believe that gradually using
#!/usr/bin/python2 is a good approach to the transition. IMO, that's
what we should start doing as much as possible.

If the dependencies for Python itself aren't calculated well with that
shebang, then we should address that to make it right regardless of this
choice.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)