Re: using git-dpm or plain git-buildpackage in PAPT and DPMT (was: PAPT Git)

On Aug 10, 2016, at 08:49 PM, Brian May wrote:

>Most of the time it works pretty well... It looked good compared with
>the alternatives available at the time we made the decision.
>
>However this is irrelevant IMHO if it isn't being mantained.

Yep.  git-dpm was the best of breed at the time we were switching from svn,
and several developers had good experiences with it.  When things are fairly
simple, so is git-dpm, and when it Just Works, it's easy to use.  When it's
*not* -- or when you hit any of the bugs previously mentioned -- then you're
out of luck.

git-dpm is no longer maintained so those bugs won't get fixed.  And gbp-pq has
improved a lot since then.

Moving PAPT to git without git-dpm will gain team experience with that
toolset.  IIRC we figured it was as easy as `rm debian/.git-dpm` to switch,
and we should test that on a few candidate packages.  More important is to
update the documentation:

https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackaging

so we're all on the same page.

Cheers,