Re: using git-dpm or plain git-buildpackage in PAPT and DPMT (was: PAPT Git)

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> git-dpm also fails to tag upstream/foo automatically when importing a
> new version. I've been told to use "git-dpm tag", but that's not
> obvious. My own experience managing debian/patches quilt patches
> manually or through gbp pq is actually much much nicer.

The problem with git-dpm tag is that this tags the Debian release too -
sometimes you want to tag the upstream version and aren't ready to
release a Debian version just yet.

> Plus it appears git-dpm is unmaintained and even sometimes buggy

That is the big problem. Nobody maintaining it or responding to bug
reports.

> As I only heard complains about git-dpm, maybe someone would like to
> express his joy using it, and explain why they think it's a nice tool.
> But is there such person? It seems git-dpm only brings frustration.

Most of the time it works pretty well... It looked good compared with
the alternatives available at the time we made the decision.

However this is irrelevant IMHO if it isn't being mantained.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>