Re: using git-dpm or plain git-buildpackage in PAPT and DPMT

On Aug 10 2016, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> As I only heard complains about git-dpm, maybe someone would like to
> express his joy using it, and explain why they think it's a nice tool.
> But is there such person? It seems git-dpm only brings frustration.

In my opinion, git-dpm solves the problem of keeping a full history of
Debian source packages (i.e., patches applied and debian/patches/
populated) as well as possible. This means that it is often painful.

I think the only way to make this less painful is to get rid of the idea
of managing patches in a VCS and use something like gitpkg. This has the
drawback source package is now *generated* from the Git repository
(i.e., you can't do git clone + debuild), but it makes maintaining the
Git repository much less painful. Judging from all the attempts I've
seen so far, trying to put patches (i.e., the output of a VCS) under
version-control is just a doomed endeavor.

I don't believe that switching from git-dpm to git-buildpackage is going
to make things easier, it'll just be trading one set of problems for
another.

Best,
-Nikolaus