Re: DPMT membership request

On 08/08/2016 01:06 PM, Filip Pytloun wrote:
>> 1.c. Using update-alternatives for /usr/bin
>>
>> Instead of doing:
>> 	rm -rf debian/python-aptly/usr/bin
>> 	mkdir -p debian/aptly-publisher/usr
>> 	mv debian/python3-aptly/usr/bin debian/aptly-publisher/usr/
>>
>> you can have a look at using pkgos-alternative-bin from
>> openstack-pkg-tools. This will generate postinst, prerm and postrm for
>> you, so it handles /usr/bin with python2 or python3 alternatives.
>> Optionally, you can fix py3 as higher priority in the postinst files if
>> you prefer.
>
> I was thinking about using alternatives vs forcing python3 (didn't know
> pkgos-alternative-bin anyway or any reference package for this case) but
> decided to force Python 3 as it should be Debian's default.

I very much agree that Python 3 should be the default, however, IMO
there's not much point supporting Python 2 and not providing the needed
command line tools. To me, either you support Py2 fully, or you just
don't support it at all. YMMV I guess.

>> 2/ debian/control
>> =================
>> 2.a X-Python{3,}-Version headers
>>
>> Please remove X-Python-Version: >= 2.6 and X-Python3-Version: >= 3.2
>> stuff. Jessie has Python 2.6 and Python 3.4, so these are completely
>> useless. It isn't even needed in oldstable!!!
>
> Good, didn't know it's not needed now.

Well, it may sometimes be needed. For example, let's say Stretch is
released, and at some point, Buster gets Python 3.6. Some packages may
support only that, and then you may need X-Python3-Version: >= 3.6. But
if we have already 3.4, and you're declaring "I'm supporting only >=
3.2", then there is no point.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed, and if you didn't know, it's
the rule in Debian to not CC.